Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Reflective Week

A week with no power -- some internal reflection, an epiphany, a lot to be thankful for:

Sunday a week ago, Ike arrived in town with 70-80 mile winds, leaving a huge portion of our town without power. We had power again after a week, but many residents in town are still waiting for their electricity to be restored. Please pray for all the families across the U.S that are dealing with the aftermath of Ike.

Pic of our side yard
It actually wasn't bad being a "pioneer" family for a week. I'm thankful for many things:

* We got to know our neighbors better and spend time with them. We all rallied and helped each other out. We realize how fortunate and blessed we are to live in this neighborhood....such a genuine, neighborly sense of caring and community.

* We live by the sweetest 83 year "young" lady. The kids and I picked acorns out of her front yard after the storm and we made a Fall centerpiece for Jake and Ava's table.
* We got to spend a lot of quality family time together playing games, cards, and reading by the light of a Coleman lantern. The kids got incredibly good sleep and their behavior was so good. I also came to the huge realization that the kids were so much happier with less T.V. and less computer time (as in Mommy on the computer less). Yes, I love blogging and checking in on all the awesome families out in "bloggerville", but realize I blog too much and am going to cut back for the sake of my family. It's amazing the additional spare time you have when there's no electricity: no TV, no computer, no Wii, no playstation, etc. And you actually survive without these things -- lol!! The kids were such troopers all week long that I wanted to do something special for them. So, I decorated the front porch for fall. I wanted to surprise them, and they woke up from their afternoon nap on Saturday to this...
On Sunday, we went up to my husband's hometown. His group was singing at a Fall Festival and we had the opportunity to spend time with grandma, aunts, uncles and cousins. It was a beautiful Autumn day....
I am going to make a true effort to blog less. Maybe there should be a 12 step program called Bloggers Anonymous - lol! But I will continue to check in on all the great people I've met through adoption and blogging....just such sweet and dear folks in "bloggerville". I"ll quickly be checking in and may not leave comments as often, but just know I'm thinking about you and still love following your family journeys!

15 comments:

Shawnstribe said...

ahh, it's amazing how priorities change, when things like this happen.
I love your Autumn photos, so very beautiful.
xxx
s

Football and Fried Rice said...

Your Fall decor is simply AMAZING!! I wish I had the energy & Know-How to do something beautiful! Everything I end up doing is pretty tacky..Sigh.

Glad to hear that your life as a pioneer is over, no matter how endearing it was :)

Leslie said...

I'm so glad you guys were ok, and now have your power back on.

Your front porch turned out amazing Felicia. I just love everything you put your little touches on. Everything always turns out so beautiful...just like you.

Jodee said...

Wow! You guys were troopers! Your fall decorations are fabulous!

I so need to sign up for Bloggers Anonymous too! I spend way too much time at the computer!

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

I am so glad that your life is returning to normal. It is great the way everyone came together to help out :D

I know what you mean about blogging and I too have been thinking about cutting back.

See you soon!
Ladybug hugs,
;D

Michelle R Photography said...

Hi Felicia,
I am so glad you got your power back. We lost ours a few days, too, and I agree that it was actually a blessing. You sound like you have wonderful neighbors.

Your front porch looks so beautiful!! You have such a great decorator's touch.

I understand about the blogging. I have cut back on my own posting, but am finding it hard to cut back as much as I'd like. I like to go visit too much. If you find a BA program, you let me know about it! ;-)

Lori said...

What a great post, I love your appreciative heart during the "storm". Your Autumn decor is lovely and I LOVE the acorn center piece!
Thanks for the reminder of how important the 'simple' life is. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your always lovely comments, you are just the sweetest friend.

Love that you got your power back, that you got to spend wonderful quality time with those beautiful children and awesome husband.

And love that gorgeous decor on the porch welcoming the season. Your inspiring me to get to work, I'm going mum shopping this week. :)

I completely understand blogging less because I'm right there with you...the break last week was a good thing.

Oh..and we have a photography class this week..I almost forgot! Chat with you soon...
Melissa

Denise C said...

Oh, your fall decorations are absolutely beautiful..you have inspired me to get busy with some outside of our home too!
Enjoy your precious family....and this beautiful fall season!
Blessings,
Denise

Carolin said...

Glad you guys survived the week and I so appreciate your comments about what you were able to learn from the experience. Since we received the news about Rebecca, I've rarely been online at night and it does seem like the kids are better because of it too. I've also noticed that the two of them get along a lot better when the tv is not on as well. You would think it would be the opposite.

Take care,
Carolin

Jboo said...

So glad to hear that you have power again! Sounds like even without electricity, you had a great week! Your porch and yard look lovely with your fall decorations. Enjoy the rest of the week.

Janet

Bridget said...

Glad you are all doing well. Your fall decorations look great! Good luck de-blogging:)

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a storm to set things 'right'. All of your photos are wonderful (except the first one of course) ~ the fall decorations make me realize just how FAR behind I am. thank you for the inspiration!!

3 Peanuts said...

I love your porch...so pretty. I need Bloggers Anonymous too. it is addicting:)

Melanie said...

I am so happy to see that you are okay.
Due to power issues from a storm we had in July, I had so many computer problems and in the midst of all of it came to the same realization about blogging. You don't get the time back.
I will continue to keep all of you in my prayers.

I love your front porch!