Wednesday, February 10, 2010

B&W Wednesday - Snow (Boots and Hearts)

This past weekend we ventured outside in the snow.  Ava didn't make it off the front porch...lol.   She's like me and doesn't like cold weather. I took some quick shots on the front porch, and did some editing in Lightroom.  I need some advise! To get other parts of the pic the way I like, it left the houndstooth looking very funny. What should I have done differently?
(1 of 5)

(2 of 5)-2

(3 of 5)

I know this is technically sepia tone and I threw some color in, but since we're so close to Valentine's Day, I had to include a picture of my son.  We made "snow hearts" out of cookie cutters.
jake

To check out other black and white photography or to participate, head over to Lisa's here!

30 comments:

carolinagirl said...

very very cute photos! love the snow hearts!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Oh, Ava and Sarah are two peas in a pod when it comes to the snow and getting cold and wet!!

These photos are really beautiful Felicia, you are doing a fantastic job. I have to say that the photo of Jake might be my FAVORITE EVER.....it is GORGEOUS!!

In regards to A's jacket.... did you reduce the clarity when you did these to soften the picture?? I am thinking that is why you lost some of the detail in the hounds tooth. The coat might need to be a tad sharper. Not sure if that will make a difference, just a guess. Either way, you did a great job with these pics!!!

Enjoy your Wednesday!!

I got my schedule for April.... I just need to make my flight arrangements and I will give you the particulars:) Can't wait!!

xo,

Lisa

Courtney said...

The photos are adorable. She looks adorable in her snow gear even if she isn't loving the snow. I can't blame her! Also I love the snow hearts, such a cute idea!

Sarah Andrews said...

Beautiful shots! I think that you did an amazing job! Love the cookie cutter snow heart idea.

mommy24treasures said...

beautiful:)

Jo said...

Too cute! Ava makes for a lovely snow lady. Great idea for snow hearts and the Valentine holding them is adorable.

Jo

Gail said...

These are all beautiful Felicia!! Very nice job with them all. The one of your son is stunning and you should frame that one!

BTW I think a sepia toned qualifies as a black and white, just my opinion. :)

Christy said...

your kids are too too cute! did you try lessening the midtones? that might make the coat a bit less of a factor, possibly not draw your eye to it as quickly. or it could just be that houndstooth is hard to photograph. Thanks for sharing!

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Hi Felicia~

First, do they have Ava's jacket in my size??? I love that houndstooth and it is a perfect choice for a b&w photo!

How clever of you to make shapes in the snow and that picture of Jake is AMAZING!

Props to Lisa for already giving suggestions and help to you regarding Lightroom and your processing. That's a great thing about this exercise, isn't it?

I hope you stay nice and warm during this cold, snowy snap!

Hugs~
Lisa

My Heart said...

I am going to second or third what everyone has been saying about the snow hearts. Too cute! I really love the second, I think, picture of your daughter (with half her face covered by her hood. Her eye is SO beautiful) I also think that that coat is fabulous for a black and white photo!

Mom2Isabel said...

Just darling!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Felicia! I LOVE the sepia one the very best : ) so I am glad you included it even though it is not technically black and white! : )

I don't know about the jacket. I would say it might work better if you put it in a separate layer and then adjusted it to taste individually and merged the copies back together. I am a HORRIBLE editor though so I am not sure if that is good advice or not : ) Probably not!

Hope you have a wonderfully happy Valentines Day : )

Wanda said...

I love them all. I think Lisa is right and it's a hard choice. I like to reduce the clarity to create mood on some shots, especially faces but we lose detail when we do. But, it doesn't take anything away from the coat. It's still dramatic and great in blk&wh.

Great shot of your son too.
:)

Jboo said...

Oh wow -- those turned out beautiful!! I'm not a fan of the cold or snow either -- just when will spring get here? Have a great WEdnesday!

Janet

Unknown said...

Great photos. What a beautiful little girl :) As far as the editing, have you tried deselecting the coat. It's a little time consuming, taking a lasso and drawing around the coat, but that way you can change the other areas of the photo a little more than the coat, and perhaps not lose the coats details. With a print like that, it's easy for it to become 'pixely' when messing with the contrast too much. I use Photoshop, not lightroom, so I'm not familiar with lightroom and its capabilities.

Oh, and great idea using a cookie cuter in the snow. I may just have to steal...I mean borrow...that one. Great photos!!!

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

Love these!!! The first one in the jacket is awesome...so soft and pretty...and that last one...OMG love the heart!!!
Great job!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the snow heart! How cool! Your kids are beautiful!!

Michelle R Photography said...

Cute, cute!! These are great pictures and I LOVE Ava's jacket. I'm with Lisa, I'm guessing the reduction in clarity to soften Ava's skin also softened the houndstooth. You can use the adjustment brush and just reduce clarity on her face, thus leaving the jacket and the rest of the shot alone. I'm a huge fan of the adjustment brush!

I love that last shot of Jake, too. And what a great idea about using cookie cutters in the snow!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Great pictures I love the sepia and snow hearts so cute and his face is priceless!

Casey said...

I love your blog!! So adorable.

And I have to agree with your daughter... not a fan of cold weather here either :)

Such adorable children!

Marla said...

Gorgeous! I love them all. And snow hearts, how clever!!!

Katy said...

Awesome photos! I love the contrast and your children are adorable!

kerri said...

Love the snow hearts!!
We did those too, colored them with snow paint, it was so much fun!! ;)
Fantastic pictures, your children are so beautiful and very photogenic..

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

GREAT shots!! All of them! And the snow hearts?! Brilliant. I may "borrow" that idea if we get out in the snow tomorrow.

I have no idea about the hounds tooth... I try to avoid that sort of problem! ;-)

Robin said...

Super sweet pictures ... I do love the one of your little guy. Sometimes adding just a little sepia tone warms the picture up nicely. I only noticed the hounds tooth decreased sharpness in the first picture. The other two I thought it looked really good with her dark boots. What I have also noticed w/some of my B&W's is when I brighten up the picture to lighten up the face I do loose some of the dark lines that I needed in other places. One suggestion is if you use PS after LR you could use the "burn" tool & decrease the opacity over the areas that you want to darken up.

They all look great!

freckletree said...

beee-yoo-tee-ful contrast in the houndstooth coat.

love the full body photo-- beautiful.

Jodee said...

I love these pictures! I especially love the heart picture!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Your children are adorable, as always. Love & blessings from NC!

Hannah said...

Those are adorable! I love that last one!

Donna said...

Beautiful! I really love b&w photography when people have interesting mixtures of textures and patterns. And such an adorable model too!

:)

Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!