Monday, December 28, 2009

A Thankful Christmas, Indeed!

We always spend Christmas Eve day in Stu's hometown.  We visit all day and travel home in time to read  "The Story of Jesus" ,"Twas the Night Before Christmas", sit out cookies for Santa, and jump in bed...

xmas collage 2

One of my favorite things to do on Christmas Eve is go caroling at a nearby retirement home.  I always feel extremely blessed during and after we sing; unfortunately, I forgot my camera.  After caroling we always go back to my sister-in-laws for great food and fellowship.    We opened gifts and the kids had a great time.   Unfortunatley, my mother-in-law ended up in the ER and had emergency surgery late Christmas Eve.  We were driving back home when we found out she was going to need surgery.   I didn't get a lot of pictures this Christmas, it was sort of a whirlwind, and Stu traveled back home for a couple of days to be with his Mother.  On a positive note, she was moved from ICU to a regular room last night.  We don't know how long she'll be in the hospital but she is recovering and feeling much better.   I hope everyone had a blessed Christmas and I'm feeling very thankful, indeed!

15 comments:

Shari said...

We used to go sing at a home for people with special needs every year. My dad would dress as Santa (he was one of Santa's special helpers) and when we'd sing "Here Comes Santa Claus" my Dad would come in and hand out little gifts to everyone. It is still one of my best Christmas memories - although all the years are smooshed into 1 scene. What a great familiy tradition for your kids!

So sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. I'm glad she's out of ICU and hope she'll be comfortable soon.

Wanda said...

Oh my goodness....so sorry to hear about your MIL (but thankful she is doing better). Wow, that had to be stressful - my mind would be just in a whirlwind.

We use to do that too - go caroling at hospitals actually. I'd love to do that again when the kiddies are a bit older. It's so good for the soul and for the listeners as well.

Despite your lack of pictures - the ones you did get are gorgeous and precious.

Wishing you well.
xoxo

Marla said...

Glad she is doing much better!

Love the pictures you got and feeling thankful right with ya!

JMW said...

What a scare! Glad to hear your MIL is doing better. How nice that you go to a retirement home on Christmas Eve and bring joy to those folks. I'm sure it meant so much to them. BTW, the kids' PJs are too cute! Happy New Year!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Lifting up your mother in law - glad to hear that things are better...

I love the picture a few posts below of Ava looking up at James..should they marry one day - they'll treasure this photo of her first crush!!

I love the matching jammies!!

Missy said...

Sounds divine! I love that you go caroling! It seems that fewer and fewer people do that and it makes me sad. I need to take Paige to do it next year...thanks for the inspiration!
Glad Stu's mom is doing better. How scary!
Love J and A in their Christmas pjs. They are PRECIOUS!

Jboo said...

So glad to hear Stu's mother is doing better -- so frightening, isn't it!

Your Christmas sounds so sweet and special and fun! Happy New Year!

Janet

elliotts said...

Merry Christmas!! Hope you had a gerat holiday.

Diane

Hannah said...

I am so glad that your MIL is going to be alright. That is a lot to be thankful for!

Jodee said...

The kids look adorable in their matching PJs! Also, thanks for the PJ tip from last year. I have already gone to Target and bought PJs for the entire family for next year! Whooo hoooo!

So sorry to hear about your MIL. Hope she is feeling better soon!

Hope you have a Happy New Year!

Marla said...

Glad y'all had a good Christmas! Sorry about your MIL, that is scary, but I'm glad to hear she's better. Hope you have a very Happy New Year!

Kam said...

So sorry that she had to have surgery on Christmas Eve but praise the Lord she is doing better now. Love that you go caroling! We used to do that in TN...we should find a home here to go to as well. Thanks for the reminder.

JinXiu said...

sorry to hear about your mother in law

hope she is feeling better?

what a scare.

love the holiday pictures

have a great year

staci

3 Peanuts said...

I will pray for Stu's Mom. Love your caroling tradition...we usually do that with our church a few weeks before Christmas but we missed it this year.

Love the photos you did get.

Michelle R Photography said...

Oh, so sorry to hear about your MIL!! How is she doing? Caroling on Christmas Eve sounds like such a great tradition.